Join the Blind River and District
Chamber of Commerce
Download Membership Application
The Blind River Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit organization serving East Algoma from the Municipality of Huron Shores to the Town of Spanish.
JOIN THE BLIND RIVER DISTRICT CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
YOUR CHAMBER NEEDS YOU!
Your Chamber of Commerce is the recognized voice of local business. A Chamber of Commerce is only as strong as the members that contribute to it as membership and participation are VITAL to success – yours and ours! The strength of the membership base is what enables the delivery of the services provided through the Chamber.
Who is your Chamber of Commerce?
We are a non-profit business organization, serving business membership interests in the Municipality of Huron Shores, Mississauga First Nation, Town of Blind River, the Township of the North Shore and Spanish.
Our mandate is to support and promote business & tourism in Blind River and District, while lobbying on behalf of our members at the municipal level.
The Blind River and District Chamber of Commerce’s Mission is to be the recognized voice of business dedicated to assisting our members by:
- Investigating the concerns & issues brought forward by our members to ensure that those issues are being addressed by our Board
- Strengthening the local economy through business & economic development projects
- Providing leadership to our members through actions on their behalf and by seeking their feedback
- Promoting business locally, advocating for fair taxation, and keeping members informed of important business issues
- Lobbying on behalf of small business through membership in the Ontario Chamber of Commerce and through regional partnerships
Overview of what we do:
- Provide numerous direct benefits to our members, including access to fuel discounts, Group Insurance Plan, first referrals, enhanced online listing, discounts on advertising through various initiatives, and much more;
- Lead initiatives with regional municipalities and business organizations to develop and stimulate the local economy through economic development projects. We are currently working on a Business Retention & Expansion Project and other economic/business development initiatives.
- We host a number of business events, information forums, seminars, and training sessions.
- We lobby government and others on your behalf. We have worked with regional partners to address onerous water regulations, comparatively high municipal tax rates, and businesses affected by hydro deregulation; We operate the North Shore Travel Information Centre year-round and secure funding to hire students to have extended hours from June to September and deal with the high traffic volume;
- We keep members informed of business / economic issues -produce a quarterly membership newsletter, partner with the Blind River Development Corporation on workshops available to our members concerning business and economic issues, keep members informed of our lobbying and consultation efforts, and discuss our activities at our Forums and Annual General Meeting.
Ontario Chamber of Commerce - On Behalf of our members we purchase membership with the OCC. With 160 chambers part of their membership base, the OCC is an effective lobbying group to provincial and federal governments to make the voice of business heard. In the last few years we have submitted several position papers and requests to the OCC that have become part of their annual mandate.